WeChat Pay, Alipay, Tap & Go, PayMe, and Octopus O!ePay, I bet these digital wallets are no strangers to you if you’re living in Hong Kong. These wallets don’t just pay your bill physically and online; some of them, such as WeChat Pay and Alipay, allow cross-border payments, making them a versatile and ultra-convenient option for daily transactions.
To kick things off, let’s delve into WeChat Pay HK. We’ll get down to business and lay out step-by-step instructions on how to use WeChat Pay HK, from setting up a wallet to topping up your balance to even making local transfers or sending remittances to both mainland China and overseas.
Table of contents: WeChat Pay HK tutorial
- How to open an account for WeChat Pay HK?
- How to verify my identity on WeChat Pay HK?
- How to link a bank account to WeChat Pay HK?
Top-up, withdrawal, and transfer funds
- How to top up my balance on WeChat Pay HK?
- How to withdraw funds from WeChat Pay HK to a bank account?
- How to make P2P local transfers on WeChat Pay HK?
WeChat Pay in China
- How to pay in Mainland China with WeChat Pay HK?
- WeChat Pay HK vs. WeChat Pay: Are they the same?
- How to switch to WeChat Pay in China?
- How to open an account for WeChat Pay in China?
- How to transfer money from WeChat Pay HK to Mainland China?
FAQs about WeChat Pay HK
How to open an account for WeChat Pay HK?
To apply for WeChat Hong Kong Wallet, you need to first register for a WeChat Hong Kong account and then follow these steps to activate it:
- Download the WeChat mobile application from the App Store or Google Play Store and register for a WeChat account using a Hong Kong mobile number.
- After logging into your account using an SMS verification code, go to “Me – Services – Wallet”.
- On the Wallet homepage, select “Bank Card” and bind your Hong Kong credit card or bank account and verify it through online banking.
- Set a six-digit payment password to complete the activation.
Here are banks that are support for WeChat Pay HK
How to verify my identity on WeChat Pay HK through real-name authentication
WeChat Pay HK digital wallet requires the user to complete real-name authentication. If the verification is not completed, users cannot use the full services of WeChat Pay, such as cross-border payments in Mainland China, We Remit transfers, FPS transfers, etc.
Here are the 6 steps for real-name authentication:
- Click “Me” at the bottom right of the main page, then click “WeChat Pay“.
- Click on the “…” icon in the upper right corner of the page and select “Payment Management – Identity Verification“.
- Verify your personal phone number.
- Follow the prompts on the page to take a picture of your Hong Kong ID card.
- Fill in your personal information, confirm, and submit.
- Take a selfie for facial recognition.
The review process usually takes 7 working days. Once approved, your identity verification will be completed.
How to link a bank account to WeChat Pay HK?
Linking your bank account allows you to pay with WeChat Pay HK. Just follow these simple steps to complete the process with ease.
- Log in to WeChat and select the “Me – WeChat Pay” service.
- On the wallet homepage, select “Bank Card” to add a credit card or bank account.
- Select the bank to which you want to add the account.
- Enter a six-digit payment password and enter the bank’s online banking page provided by the commercial bank or the bank account page to fill in the bank account information according to the page instructions.
- Once the verification is complete, the account can be linked.
How to top up my balance on WeChat Pay HK?
Currently, WeChat Pay HK has the 3 common ways to top-up:
- Linking a credit card to WeChat Pay HK for balance top-up services.
- Setting up a direct debit authorization (DDA) for bank account transfers.
- Adding value at 7-Eleven convenience stores
Linking a credit card to WeChat Pay HK for balance top-up services
This is a simple and convenient way to make instant payments when shopping without the need to pre-add value.
Setting up a direct debit authorization (DDA) for bank account transfers
If you do not want to link your credit card to WeChat Pay HK, you can also transfer value from your bank account to WeChat Pay HK. After completing identity verification within the app, you can apply for a direct debit authorization and directly transfer funds from your bank account to WeChat Pay HK.
Adding value at 7-Eleven convenience stores
If you have concerns about the above two methods, you can add value at any 7-Eleven convenience store. First, go to the “Balance” section in the app’s wallet, then select “Top Up“. Choose “7-Eleven” as the method of adding value, and then you can pay in cash and show the QR code to the store staff.
How to withdraw funds from WeChat Pay HK to a bank account?
Once you have registered a bank account, you can easily withdraw funds from WeChat Pay HK to it.
- Log in to WeChat and go to “Me – WeChat Pay – Balance“.
- On the “My Balance” page, select “Withdrawal” and then follow the instructions to fill in your bank account information.
- Enter your six-digit payment password. Once the verification is successful, the withdrawal will be completed.
- The payment will be deposited into your account within 2-4 business days. You can check the withdrawal status in “Transaction Records/Balance Details“.
How to make P2P local transfers on WeChat Pay HK?
You can make a local transfer on WeChat Pay HK through “Friend transfer” and “FPS transfer“. Here is how you can do it:
WeChat Pay HK—Friend transfer
- In the WeChat chat interface, click the “+” icon in the lower right corner and select “Transfer.”
- Enter the transfer amount and click “Transfer.”
- Enter the 6-digit payment password to complete the payment.
- The friend needs to click the orange transfer message and then click “Confirm Receipt.”
- The payment will be directly deposited into their wallet, “Balance.”
WeChat Pay HK—FPS transfer
- After logging in to WeChat, go to “Me – WeChat Pay – FPS Transfer.”
- Select a contact to transfer to and enter the recipient’s FPS identification information, such as their phone number or email address.
- Enter the transfer amount, and then click “Complete.”
- Enter the 6-digit payment password to complete the payment.
How to pay in Mainland China with WeChat Pay HK?
WeChat Pay HK launched a “cross-border payment” service in 2018. Hong Kong users can link their Mainland wallet and make payments directly at designated merchants in China, with the spending amount automatically converted to Hong Kong dollars.
You can check the exchange rate before making a payment to see if it is reasonable. In general, WeChat’s exchange rate is lower than the normal credit card exchange rate, and there are no transaction fees. However, if you top up your wallet or make a payment using a credit card, a specific handling fee will be charged by the card-issuing bank.
Here are some merchants in China that accept WeChat Pay HK: Didi (Taxi service), MeiTuan (Food delivery), 12306 CHINA RAILWAY(Train tickets service), Hey Tea (Chinese tea drink), and HaiDiLao Hotpot, etc.
WeChat Pay HK vs. WeChat Pay: Are they the same?
Alright, first things first, many wonder: Is WeChat Pay HK the same as WeChat Pay?
The answer is no. WeChat Pay HK runs independently from its mainland Chinese counterpart, WeChat Pay. The funds between the two cannot be transferred or shared. In China, some merchants only accept WeChat Pay as a payment method. Therefore, it may be necessary to obtain your own WeChat Pay in China.
How to open an account for WeChat Pay in China?
For those who frequently travel between Hong Kong and Mainland China, it’s more convenient in the long run to activate the Mainland version of WeChat Pay.
So, how to activate the WeChat Pay Mainland version? To do so, you’ll need
- a Mainland China phone number registered with your real name,
- a Mainland China bank account, and to bind the account to the WeChat app.
Once that’s done, you’re good to go and can use WeChat Pay for all your spending needs in Mainland China.
Step 1: Obtaining Mainland China phone numbers
Previously, Hong Kong residents who wished to have a real-name registered Mainland China phone number could only do so by personally visiting Mainland China’s telecommunication service providers to apply.
But now, many Hong Kong telecom service providers have launched “one-card-multiple-numbers” services, allowing individuals in Hong Kong to apply for personal Mainland China phone numbers without leaving Hong Kong. Check out CSL, China Mobile, and 3 for more details.
Step 2: Opening a Mainland China bank account
Obtaining a Mainland China bank account is now easier than ever! Once you have a Mainland phone number, simply head to a bank in Hong Kong with your ID card and Mainland Travel Permit.
Banks like the Bank of China (Hong Kong), Hang Seng Bank, and Dah Sing Bank have already launched relevant services. Just fill out an application form and submit the documents at the Hong Kong branch, and the bank will handle the rest of the procedures for you in China.
Within 2 weeks, you can get your bank card and enjoy WeChat Pay in China.
(Learn more about banks that link with AliPay and WeChat Pay.)
Step 3: Binding your bank account and phone number
By linking your Mainland China bank account and Mainland China phone number to the WeChat App, you can activate WeChat Pay in China, making it smooth to make payments or pay in most physical stores.
How to switch from WeChat Pay HK to WeChat Pay in China?
If you have both WeChat Pay and WeChat Pay Hong Kong, you can easily switch to one wallet by following the steps below:
- Select the “Me” option in the lower right corner of the main menu.
- Then select “Services“.
- Select the three dots “…” at the upper right corner of the page, then click on them, and you will have the option to switch wallets at the bottom.
How to transfer money from WeChat Pay HK to Mainland China?
To use WeChat Pay Hong Kong to transfer money to Mainland China, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to WeChat and select “Cross-border Remittance” in the “Wallet” section, then select “Mainland China“.
- Enter the amount to be remitted, confirm the handling fee, and click “Next“.
- Users who have not yet been verified need to fill in personal information.
- Choose the remittance method and enter the password to make the payment.
- Click “Finish” to enter the page to send to a friend.
- Click “Next“, then click “…” above and choose the recipient.
WeChat Pay HK currently supports the remittance of Hong Kong dollars to banks in Mainland China with UnionPay. The recipient just needs to link their bank card to the Mainland China WeChat wallet.
More than that, WeChat Pay HK has recently launched the function of receiving payments with the “Mainland Travel Permit”, which allows the recipient to use a Mainland China bank card processed by this system when receiving payment.
Frequently Asked Questions: WeChat Pay HK
Is WeChat Pay HK free?
Applying for WeChat Pay HK electronic wallet is free, but transactions may incur handling fees, such as payment by credit card, payment or transfer in Mainland China, and remittance through WeChat Pay HK (We Remit).
Can WeChat Pay wallet be used in Hong Kong?
You can use WeChat Pay HK, which is the Hong Kong version of WeChat Pay, and its currency is HKD. It is mainly used by customers in Hong Kong but can also be used by some merchants in Mainland China.
Can I exchange the HKD in my WeChat Pay HK wallet for RMB?
Even if you have both Hong Kong and Mainland China WeChat wallets, the funds cannot be shared or converted. However, Mainland China WeChat users can directly make payments in RMB in Hong Kong. Similarly, Hong Kong WeChat users can directly make payments in HKD in China. The currency exchange rate is based on the transaction exchange rate set by WeChat.
WeChat Pay vs. Alipay: Which app do you need? Check out the blog post to find out!
How to get a bank account that links with Alipay and WeChat Pay? Check out How to Open a BOC Greater Bay Area Bank Account That Links with AliPay and WeChat Pay in Hong Kong
MoneySmart—Your One-Stop Financial Products Platform