Hey, drivers! Looking for ways to save money on fuel? If you haven’t joined the fuel card membership programs offered by Caltex, Shell, PetroChina, and Esso Smiles, you’re probably missing out on the chance to earn points and redeem them for fuel coupons, gifts, and even Asia Miles. Not to mention, using a specific credit card to pay for gas can earn you extra rewards! Keep reading the MoneySmart Petrol Discount All-In-One Guide to stay up-to-date on the latest refueling promotions and get even more tips to save on gasoline. (Updated in May 2023)
Hong Kong Fuel card discount overview
Fuel cards can be a great way to save money on gas purchases in Hong Kong. Some of the most popular fuel cards include Esso Smiles, Shell Go+, Caltex Rewards Card, and Sinopec X Card. Each card offers unique benefits and rewards, such as redeemable points for fuel coupons, Asia Miles, and even electronic devices. Here is a brief introduction to each fuel card.
Esso Smiles Card
|Company||Fuel Type||Points Earned|
|Esso Smiles Card
|Supreme+||15 Esso Smiles/liter|
|Extra||10 Esso Smiles/liter|
|Auto-LPG||1 Esso Smiles/liter|
Redeeming your Esso Smiles is not limited to just fuel coupons! You can also convert them to Cathay miles (Asia Miles), HKT Clubpoints, or Moneyback points, earning flight tickets, beverages, or even electronic devices.
Monthly promotion (Updated as of May 18)
To enjoy monthly offers that change every month, simply register as an Esso Smiles member and present your Esso Smiles card.
|Monday||Use 5,000 Smiles points to get HK$333 of Synergy™ Supreme petrol (usually 7,500 points). Or, use 5,000 Smiles points to get HK$300 of Synergy Extra petrol.|
|Tuesday||Smiles Basic Card members get HK$6 off per liter of Synergy™ Supreme+ petrol or HK$4 off per liter of Synergy Extra petrol at Esso.|
|Thursday||Free upgrade your Synergy Extra petrol to Synergy Supreme+ petrol for petrol purchases.|
|Friday||Smiles Basic Card members get HK$5 off per liter of all Synergy™ petrol (Supreme+/Extra) at Esso.|
|Sunday||Smiles Basic Card members earn double Smiles points when buying all Synergy™ petrol (Supreme+/Extra) at Esso.|
That’s more from the monthly offer! Smiles members can save HK$1.6/L on petrol by showing their Smiles Classic Card at Esso and Feoso stations and earning Smiles points at the same time.
Shell Go+ Mobile App Offer
Shell Go+ is a mobile app that offers gasoline discounts with points. To get started, download the app and register an account using your mobile number. Once registered, you’ll be ready to receive promotional offers!
Here is how you can get instant points for fuel purchased and other purchases:
|Company||Product Type||Points Earned|
|Shell Go+||Shell V-Power gasoline||15 points/liter|
|Shell FuelSave gasoline or diesel||10 points/liter|
|Shell Helix Power (4-liter pack),
Shell Helix Protect, Shell Helix Ultra ECT Multi (4-liter pack),
Shell Helix Ultra Extra 0W-40 (4-liter pack), Shell Helix Ultra Extra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 (4-liter pack),
Shell Helix Ultra Extra Racing 10W-60 (4-liter pack)
|Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-40 (4-liter pack)||2 points/HK$1|
|Shell Select convenience stores and car care services||1 point/HK$1|
Shell GO+ is not just another mobile app. It’s a whole new way to fuel up with style! You can save a lot more with this app:
- Earn double points on your birthday month’s purchases (only in Hong Kong).
- Redeem HKD$10 Shell vouchers with as low as 250 points.
- Rewards redeemed through “points redemption” will be stored in your Shell GO+ account electronically.
- Instantly exchange points for rewards from partner merchants, including electronic vouchers and points.
That’s not the end. Here’s what we got for the promotional offer in May 2023:
|Mondays and Thursdays||Limited-time offer: HK$5 off per liter of fuel purchase|
|Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays||HK$5.2 off per liter (with accumulated spending of HK$600 or above on a single transaction of fuel purchase)|
(Extra Note: Shell Bonus card has ended services in Mar 2023.)
Caltex Rewards card
What are the offers on the Caltex Rewards card? When you sign up for the Caltex Rewards Card, you’ll start earning points right away every time you gas up. You can use those points to save money on your next refuel.
- Instant discount of HK$0.9 per liter Purchase Caltex Techron Platinum gasoline or Techron Gold gasoline with your Caltex Rewards card.
- Special discount of HK$5.0 per liter Purchase Caltex Techron Platinum gasoline or Techron Gold gasoline on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Earn double points during your birthday month.
- Earn 1 point for every 1-liter purchase of Platinum gasoline or every 2 liters purchase of Gold gasoline with Techron. And you can use 1 point for every HK$1 spent to pay for gasoline at the pump price.
|Company||Fuel Type||Points Earned|
|Caltex Rewards Card
|Platinum gasoline||1 point/liter|
|Gold gasoline||1 point/2 liters|
MoneySmart Tips: all points will expire by Dec 31 of the second year after they are issued.
Sinopec X Card
China Petroleum offers fuel card discounts—Become an “X Card” member and redeem your points for fuel coupons via its Sinopec Plus App.
Sinopec Plus App awards points based on discounted amounts using the following rates:
|Company||Fuel Type||Points Earned|
|Sinopec||SINO X POWER||45 points/HK$100 spent|
|SINO POWER||35 points/HK$100 spent|
|SINO DIESEL||35 points/HK$100 spent|
Use Fuel Card points to redeem miles
You may not know that fuel card points are eligible for redeeming miles. Here’s an overview of mileage redemption for various fuel cards:
|Membership Program||Fuel Type||Points Earned||Points to Miles Conversion|
|Synergy Supreme+ (per liter)||15||3 Esso Smiles = 1 mile|
|Synergy Extra (per liter)||10||3 Esso Smiles = 1 mile|
|Shell V-Power (per liter)||15||1,250 points = 400 miles|
|Shell FuelSave (per liter)||10||1,250 points = 400 miles|
Gasoline discounts with a credit card overview
Some oil companies even offer credit card promotions when you use the membership card and credit card together, allowing you to enjoy discounts on fuel and additional credit card rewards.
Dah Sing MyAuto Credit Card gasoline discounts: 3.2% rebate for EV charging or gas spending
- Min. Annual Salary
- Miles Conversion (local spend)
- Cash back on local spend
From now until 31 December 2023, successfully apply for the Dah Sing MyAuto Credit Card through MoneySmart to get an HK$150 PARKnSHOP Supermarket Voucher or HKTVmall e-Voucher!
Apart from that, receive a BLACK & DECKER Portable Air Compressor (Suggested Retail Price: HK$698) upon accumulating eligible spending of HK$12,000 or above within the first 2 months from the date of card issuance or Enjoy HK$400 Cash Rebate upon accumulating eligible spending of HK$6,000 or above within the first 2 months from the date of card issuance (Fulfilled by Dah Sing Bank)
With a monthly spending limit of HK$5,000 with Dah Sing MyAuto credit card, you can
- enjoy a 3.2% rebate on car-related services, that include gas spending, car purchases, hourly parking (up to HK$500), car washing, car beauty, car repair, auto parts, car maintenance, and towing service.
The offer does not end here but also includes:
- 8% rebate for using the “HKeToll” Free-Flow Tolling payment system to pay for tunnel fees.
- year-round discounts of up to 68% off at car-related stores, including Car Beautician, KeePer PROSHOP, Carwash.HK, and more.
- a free tire repair and towing service once a year.
When it comes to yearly car insurance, the Dah Sing MyAuto card offers discounts as well:
- Get 10% off the premium on your existing Comprehensive Motor Insurance Renewal Notice.
- Get 5% off the premium on your existing Third-Party Motor Insurance Renewal Notice.
If you’re a driver and earn over HK$150,000 per year, the Dah Sing MyAuto credit card is a must-have! Not only does it offer discounts, but it also provides extra peace of mind. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to fuel your car and your wallet!
Hang Seng Credit Card Esso Synergy™ Petrol Privileges: up to HK$120 worth of petrol rebate
From April 1 to June 30, 2023, if you gas up your car with Synergy petrol and pay with your Hang Seng Credit Card at any Esso or Feoso service station in Hong Kong, you can get the following offers:
- Every time you spend at least HK$500 (after discount) on Synergy Supreme+ premium petrol, you can get an extra HK$120 worth of petrol by using designated petrol e-Coupons in Esso app.
- Every time you spend at least HK$500 (after discount) on Synergy petrol, you can enjoy an extra HK$100 worth of petrol.
HSBC EveryMile Credit Card: HK$2/mile
With the HSBC EveryMile credit card, you can enjoy an unlimited offer of 1 mile for every HK$2 spent on fuel at Esso, Shell, Caltex, PetroChina, and Sinopec gas stations. If you’re a frequent traveler, this might be the card you need!
HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card: 3X reward cash for Caltex Platinum or Gold Techron gas
Earn bonus points when you buy gas at Caltex using any HSBC Visa Platinum card:
- Get 3X reward cash for Caltex Platinum or Gold with Techron gas.
- Get an instant HK$0.9 discount per liter of Caltex Platinum/Gold with Techron gas.
BOC Esso World Mastercard gasoline discounts: extra discount of HK$0.4/L
With your BOC Esso World Mastercard, you can enjoy an Esso Smiles instant petrol discount of HK$1.6/L on Esso Synergy gasoline purchases and an additional discount of HK$0.4/L.
Best tools for drivers
Here are a few useful tools to save big on fuel. Remember to bookmark them to get updates on the latest promotions.
This dashboard from the Hong Kong Consumer Council provides an overview of the daily oil discounts.
A simple map that shows you the nearby gas station.
A calculator that helps you calculate the gasoline price with the oil company, petrol type, filling budget, and discount
Looking for more personal finance tips? Let’s check out the MoneySmart blog!